HeartOfTheStormHeartOfTheStorm

Main Art Favorites Reviews Stats 3 Fans

White Slayer White Slayer

janky as hell but kinda cool considering how fast it was made

The Tutorial Collab '08 The Tutorial Collab '08

Amazing tutorial but a lot of the songs and features have broken. Not sure if a Flashplayer update broke stuff or if content was hosted on a page that no longer exists.

Fatal Flight (~2wk Jam) Fatal Flight (~2wk Jam)

Good sound and visual design, decent enough controls, a better draw distance would be nice.
The only serious problem is that the camera locks for half a second every time you kill an enemy, it makes the game pointlessly frustrating.

kiddRaddical responds:

Ohh wasn't aware of that camera glitch, will try to fix that in the update. Good eye, thanks for playing
^-^)b

CrossCode CrossCode

I'll critique this a little stronger since you're selling it for money.
I like the plot, the "real avatar in a real videogame" idea is a new twist on an overused idea.
The details were great like edge assist for walking around corners, optional hints, and ambient noises.

The level design was very intuitive for teaching the game mechanics, but there was still pointless text onscreen telling me generic stuff like "complete the level". Too much pointless dialogue too. Efficient and concise is the only model you should abide by when it comes to video game text.

Good soundtrack, a bit of cavestory vibe.
The load times were kinda long and often, which is pretty bad for a 2d pixel web game with not much content between load times. I'm sure the final game will have be all downloaded though so that won't be a problem.
I liked all the textures but noticed a small number of pixel density inconsistencies (like the pause overlay before the crab battle).

Also glitches: when dead health goes into the negatives, and some attacks should get blocked but aren't shielded.

Verdict: Worth $15? Yes. Will I play the final game? No, I personally want more mechanical depth and higher skill ceiling if I'm going to spend time on something.

RadicalFishGames responds:

Did you happen to to give the exploration mode a try? It features much more depth with the menu, combat skills, a skilltree and equipment!

FPA: World 1 Remix FPA: World 1 Remix

Fan of the series here...
The levels flow nicer and are more dynamic than the originals, the mechanics are also nicely updated (better air & ground control, zoomed out camera), although no walljump direction options like world 3.
The pencil is useless compared to fpa world 3, particularily how it interrupts the flow and can't even be used on the pencil boss. It detracts a bit from the game.
The trip and ground bounce "features" are pretty annoying when speedrunning because the game decides somewhat randomly whether it wants to interrupt your flow or not. Just have him land on his feet and cut the garbage.

Slush Tile Rush Slush Tile Rush

Interesting game, but I why doesn't it save data? I hit "play tutorial" and now I can't start from the level I was on. Why isn't there a level selection screen?

gildedguy responds:

Thanks for playing! Didn't the tutorial button warn you will lose level progress when you hit confirm? This is a linear arcade game that tests how far you can get, so a level select wouldn't make sense.

oO oO

I really enjoyed how easy it was to jump into, I never felt like I didn't have enough information (then again, it was only one button). I'm impressed at the mechanics you got out of one button and two moves, but ultimately this game is an unsatisfying reflex test and waiting game. It's forgiving with it's timing, but it's still annoying and not much but a time waster.
I only played two and a half levels.

Alien Splatter Alien Splatter

Nice use of colour, camera, and level flow. I would've preferred if you could jump up through the thin moving platforms, like in any other platformer. There's one thing that really bugged me though: when you quickly tap an arrow key it doesn't make you turn around most of the time, so when I want to turn around and shoot someone I can't because there's a delay or something going on with your controls. Why didn't you just use a simple constant velocity for moving?

As for the Author Comments, this was my impression: "Only 90's kids would understand, unlike you AAA plebs." Ok man chill out.

SinclairStrange responds:

Haha, my author comments were justified after getting a barrage of bad reviews and PM's when I released Ninja Virus and Sole Gunner. It's just my way of telling them to shut up as it just gets a little bit annoying after the nth time. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of current triple A titles on my shelve and I used to work for Sony so :P.

But thanks for the review, the platforms that squish you was just a gimmick for that purpose really. Perhaps I should of made it more clear in hindsight. With regards of the turning/shooting that's just being faithful to the 8bit counterparts. In most games, if you turn around while walking, you need to de-accelerate before turning, it's not constant.

Thanks for the review! :)

Accelerator Accelerator

You should've explained how the high-scoring system works. I can't make heads or tails of it; does it rank you based on distance traveled at certain starting speeds? Except that the game doesn't tell you the distance that you finished at, only the speed.

TenebrousP responds:

Yeah some explanation in-game would probably help. Or I should just simplify the whole thing.

Anyway, the game only tracks and records speed. Distance doesn't matter.